Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery that can make a crooked nose straighter, a bumpy nose smoother, or a big nose smaller. It is carried to improve the nose’s appearance but can also offer physical benefits that have little to do with appearance. Read along to learn why Alexis Furze, MD, an otolaryngologist and certified facial and reconstructive surgeon, recommends rhinoplasty nose surgery for you.
1. Improve Your Breathing
Breathing difficulties might be due to deviations in your septum or the shape of your nose. For some people, their nostrils might be too small.
Some symptoms of nasal breathing difficulties include facial pain, headaches, nasal congestion, and problems with breathing through the nostrils. Thankfully, rhinoplasty can help reshape your nose for better airflow.
Moreover, a deviated septum might cause disruptions because it blocks airflow to one side of your nostril.
Rhinoplasty surgery can help fix a deviated septum. The surgeon straightens and repositions the septum’s cartilage to fix its shape.
2. Alleviate Sinus Pressure
It would help if you drained the mucus inside your sinuses regularly, or the built-up pressure might lead to congestion and facial discomfort. Bacteria might also get trapped in these spaces and cause infections. Rhinoplasty helps patients with chronic sinus issues by correcting problems with the nasal passage. The sinuses drain better, thus solving the complication.
3. Reduce Snoring
Snoring is a surprisingly serious issue. It is one of the causes of divorces; many couples sleep separately because one snores! Snoring is caused by structural problems within your nose, like a deviated septum. Rhinoplasty can help correct such a problem.
4. Emotional Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty could impact you in various ways:
- Better self-esteem and self-confidence: Once you start feeling good about your new appearance, these good emotions start to shine through you.
- Change your perception about yourself: If you had centered a lot of negative energy on your deformed nose, rhinoplasty will give you some relief and make you shift your attitude.
- End bullying: Especially for kids, rhinoplasty can help fix a nasal problem that attracts negative attention from school bullies.
- Workplace success: If you gain some new confidence from your new appearance, your career outlook can start improving. Your attitude drives how your colleagues and bosses perceive you.
Using surgical methods to alter your appearance or enhance your health comes with questions. One of the questions about rhinoplasty is about pain and the healing process. Invasive surgeries come with discomfort during and after the procedures. However, most rhinoplasty patients might have some tenderness and swelling but should experience minimal breathing difficulties. Discoloration in the skin is possible, but, you will see the results of the procedures within a couple of days.
Remember that rhinoplasty is not like a haircut but a customized procedure to your face and needs. Thus bringing a photo of a celebrity and requesting a nose like that one might not work. Your specialist will create balance and symmetry during the procedure. What looks appearing on one person is not always a great fit for you.