Arthritis is a common condition that can cause joint pain and stiffness. There are many different types of arthritis, but osteoarthritis is the most common. When the cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones wears down over time, this type of arthritis develops. What can affect people of all ages is arthritis El Centro, but it is most common in adults over 65.
These are the different causes of arthritis that you should know;
- Osteoarthritis– The most common type of arthritis develops as the cartilage that cushions the ends of the bones deteriorates over time.
- Rheumatoid arthritis– Is caused by inflammation of the joints. It can cause pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints.
- Gout– This is caused by uric acid accumulation in the body. It might result in severe pain attacks and joint swelling.
- Psoriatic arthritis– This form of arthritis is caused by psoriasis, causing pain and stiffness.
- Ankylosing spondylitis– This form of arthritis is caused by inflammation of the spine. It can cause pain and stiffness in the back and neck.
There are many different treatments for arthritis. The most important thing you can do is to maintain a healthy weight, as this will help to reduce the amount of stress on your joints. It would help if you also avoided repetitive motions, as this can worsen the symptoms of arthritis. Many different types of exercises can be beneficial for people with arthritis, including swimming, walking, and stretching.
There is no cure for arthritis, but many treatments can help relieve the symptoms. Some of these treatments include:
Regular exercise is one of the best things you can do to manage your arthritis symptoms. It helps to strengthen the muscles around the joints, increase the range of motion, and improve flexibility. A physical therapist can help you create an exercise program that is right for you.
Pain relief medication
Many different types of pain relief medications are available, both over-the-counter and prescription. Some common medications include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or naproxen
Hot and cold therapies
Joint pain and stiffness can be relieved by applying heat and ice cubes to the affected joints. Some people find relief with heating pads, while others prefer ice packs. Some creams and gels can be applied to the skin that contains either heat or cold.
Joint protection is a method of using assistive devices and making changes to your daily activities to avoid putting too much stress on your joints. This can help to reduce pain and prevent further damage to the joints.
There are a variety of devices that can help people with arthritis to manage their symptoms. Some common devices include:
- Hand grips
In some cases, surgery may be recommended to treat arthritis. Surgery is usually only considered when other treatments have not successfully relieved symptoms. Some common types of surgery include:
- Joint replacement
- Tendon repair
If you are experiencing symptoms of arthritis, it is important to see Prabhdeep Singh, MD, FACP. The doctor will diagnose the type of arthritis you have and recommend the best treatment plan for you.